Members of the glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) family, including GDNF and neurturin (NTN) (1), play key roles in the control of vertebrate neuron survival and differentiation. Physiological responses to NTN require the presence of a novel glycosylphosphadidylinositol linked protein NTNRa, which is a cell surface receptor for NTN (2,3). The cDNAs encoding NTNRa from human, rat, chicken, and mouse have been cloned recently (2-7). NTNRa was also termed GDNFRb, Ret ligand 2 (RETL2) or TGF-b-related neurotrophic factor receptor 2 (TrnR2) (4-7) and nominated as GFRa-2 recently (8). GFRa-2 binds NTN and mediates activation of RET receptor tyrosine kinase by both NTN and GDNF. Thus, NTN, GFRa-2, and the Ret PTK form a complex to transduce NTN signal and to mediate NTN function.
This polyclonal antibody can be used for detection of GFRa-2 expression by Western blot at 1:1000 to 1:2000 dilution. HeLa whole cell lysate can be used as positive control and a 52kD band should be detected. The amino acid sequences of immunogenic peptide are identical to those of mouse and rat and the antibody recognizes GFRa-2 of human, mouse, and rat origins.
Antibody blocking peptide: G2033-25P.
|Intended for research use only. Not for use in human, therapeutic, or diagnostic applications.|
1. 1Kotzbauer PT, Lampe PA, Heuckeroth RO, Golden JP, Creedon DJ, Johnson EM Jr, lbrandt J. Neurturin, a relative glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor. Nature 1996;384:467-470 |
2. Klein RD, Sherman D, Ho WH, Stone D, Bennett GL, Moffat B, Vandlen R, Simmons L, Gu Q, Hongo JA, Devaux B, Poulsen K, Armanini M, Nozaki C, Asai N, Goddard A, Phillips H, Henderson CE, Takahashi M, Rosenthal A. A GPI-linked protein that interacts with Ret to form a candidate neurturin receptor. Nature 1997;387:717-721
3. Buj-Bello A, Adu J, Pinon LG, Horton A, Thompson J, Rosenthal A, Chinchetru M, Buchman VL, Davies AM. Neurturin responsiveness requires a GPI-linked receptor and the Ret receptor tyrosine kinase. Nature 1997;387:721-724
4. Baloh RH, Tansey MG, Golden JP, Creedon DJ, Heuckeroth RO, Keck CL, Zimonjic DB, Popescu NC, Johnson EM Jr, Milbrandt J. TrnR2, a novel receptor that mediates neurturin and GDNF signaling through Ret. Neuron 1997;18:793-802
5. Sanicola M, Hession C, Worley D, Carmillo P, Ehrenfels C, Walus L, Robinson S, Jaworski G, Wei H, Tizard R, Whitty A, Pepinsky RB, Cate RL. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor-dependent RET activation can be mediated by two different cell-surface accessory proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997;94:6238-6243
6. Suvanto P, Wartiovaara K, Lindahl M, Arumae U, Moshnyakov M, Horelli-Kuitunen N, Airaksinen MS, Palotie A, Sariola H, Saarma M. Cloning, mRNA distribution and chromosomal localisation of the gene for glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor receptor beta, a homologue to GDNFR-alpha. Hum Mol Genet 1997;6:1267-1273
7. Wang CY, Ni J, Jiang H, Hsu TA, Dugich-Djordjevic M, Feng L, Zhang M, Mei L, Gentz R, Lu B. Cloning and characterization of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor receptor-B: a novel receptor for members of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor family of neurotrophic factors. Neuroscience 1998 Mar;83(1):7-14
8. Nomenclature Committee. Nomenclature of GPI-linked receptors for the GDNF ligand family. GFRa. Neuron 1997;19:485